Mastering Pointers in C and C++
A 6-week course with expert-led sessions, real-life project with personalized critique and teamwork
This course provides an excellent opportunity for students who wish to master “Pointers” perhaps the most difficult concept that a learner encounters in his journey of C and C++ programming. The project-driven approach used in this course would not only help you understand pointers in all their garbs, but will also let you appreciate their usage in solving real-world problems. This course assumes acquaintance with C/C++ programming to the extent of data types, control instructions and functions. Rest of the stuff will be covered in detail in this course. By the end of this course, you will be able to build a fully working project that makes extensive use of pointers in all their manifestations.
Typical week in the cohort
Communication and networking are core components of the ClasspertX course experience. In this course, you will be part of a global learning community. In order to accommodate all participants, we have designed much of the course experience to take place asynchronously, with a synchronous class session that occurs weekly.
Reading from the book
Includes a free copy of the book
This course is centered around Understanding Pointers in C & C++ which will be used as a supplementary material for the classes
- Students will be prompted to submit questions during the week, and the instructor should choose questions to answer for students during the weekly sessionSync Sessions on Zoom
- Q&A with the instructor
- Additional demos / examples of key topics
- Group practice - students break out to work on an exercise
- Group discussion
- Understand what the course will cover
- Understand what is expected of participants in this course
- Understand how to get the most out of this course
- Meet your instructor
- Understand basic building blocks of C Programming
- Get familiar with the concept of Pointers
- Establish comfort with usage of pointer, pointer to pointer, pointer operators, array of pointers, pointer to an array, pointer to a structure
- Understand what are hashes/checksums
- Understand how to use OpenSSL library
- Combine the knowledge of topics learnt in Module 1 to obtain SHA256 checksum of a string and a file
- Appreciate use of SHA256 in authenticating users of a system
- Understand how data is organized in JSON format
- Understand how to write data into a JSON file
- Understand how to read JSON data from a file and parse it to get it into usable form
- Understand how to establish connection between C++ program and a MySQL database
- Understand how to use pointers to Connection, Statement and ResultSet objects to perform CRUD operations on a database programmatically
- Understand function pointers and their role in callback mechanisms
- Understand the importance of classes and objects in C++ programming
- Appreciate the role of "this" pointer while working with objects
- Understand how nested classes are used
- Understand how to use C++ free store to allocate space to objects and how to access the allocate space using pointers
- Understand how member functions can be built from scratch
- Understanding role of pointers in interplay of objects of different classes
- Understand the working of constructors and destructors and the associated pitfalls
What you'll learn
- Understand pointers in C and C++ in all their garbs
- Appreciate the role of pointers in solving a problem in C and C++
- Apply the knowledge of pointers to develop a real-world project
Who this course is for
Who this course is forTarget Audience
- C/C++ Programmers
- Embedded Systems Developers
- Professionals working on operating systems, device drivers and other low-level software who need good understanding of pointers to work with memory, data structures and code optimization
- Acquaintance with C/C++ Programming to the extent of data types, control instructions and functions
Yashavant Kanetkar has contributed to the IT industry over the past three decades through his acclaimed books and Quest Video Courses, covering subjects like C, C++, Java, Python, Data Structures, .NET, and IoT. He has been instrumental in shaping countless IT careers both in India and internationally. His publications have been translated into multiple languages and published in various countries, benefiting millions of students and professionals.
Yashavant is a highly regarded IT speaker, known for his seminars and workshops at prestigious institutions and global software companies, including TedEx, IITs, IIITs, NITs. He has received the “Distinguished Alumnus Award” from IIT Kanpur for his outstanding contributions to entrepreneurship, professionalism, and academia.
His dedication to IT education in India has earned him multiple awards, including the “Best .NET Technical Contributor” and “Most Valuable Professional” recognition from Microsoft for five consecutive years. Yashavant’s educational background includes a BE from VJTI Mumbai and an M.Tech. from IIT Kanpur. Currently, he serves as a Director at KICIT Pvt Ltd. and KSET Pvt Ltd.
- Yashavant Kanetkar is a seasoned instructor who has made immense contributions as an educator through his books, e-learning video courses, seminars, workshops and corporate trainings
- Most students in India begin their programming journey with his book titled Let Us C and Let Us C++. So far 20 editions of Let Us C have been published and more than 3.5 million copies have been sold. Simplicity and Indianness have been the hallmark of Let Us C.
- His renowned programming books have been published by publishers like BPB Publications Delhi, Infinity Press USA, Innosoft Japan, Tech Publication Singapore, Cengage China, Cengage South Korea and Knowledge Hub Dubai
- Yashavant has completed his BE from VJTI Mumbai in 1985 and M. Tech. from IIT Kanpur in 1987
It covers pointers from scratch to advanced level, after reading this book many times, you will become champion in pointers
Got the book few days ago, obviously couldn’t have read it all, but what I see so far, I love it. Starts with basic examples, then goes into more complex. Usually other c or c++ books spare a small section for pointers. This whole book is about pointers. I expect so much from it. A must have for c or c++ beginner.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get my employer to pay for the program?
An investment in knowledge always pays the best return for your company. It’s a tiny investment compared to what you could potentially bring in terms of innovation to your workplace.
Many companies offer reimbursement for courses related to your job. Ask your employer about tuition benefits. Even if there is no specific tuition assistance, many companies allocate money toward professional development. Managers may have money earmarked for industry conferences and many have not considered applying it toward continuing education.
Approach asking for tuition assistance like you would a formal negotiation. Go into the discussion with clearly outlined and rehearsed messages about what you hope to gain and emphasize how it will benefit your boss and organization.
What is the time commitment for this course?
This course requires 6-8 hours/week of work. Self-paced activities such as homework assignments, readings, and watching video lectures exist to help you build up knowledge until you’re able to demonstrate, through your project, that you’ve achieved the learning outcomes of the program. Although important, homework assignments won’t be graded by the instructional team. The only gradable unit in this program will be your project, which is a prerequisite for certificate emission
How do refunds work?
If the course does not meet your expectations, you can ask for a full refund before the beginning of week 3. No questions asked!
How are certificates issued? Will I be evaluated?
In order to earn a certificate, you’ll need to submit a project and get a passing grade. The instructional team will provide comprehensive feedback on your project, highlighting the strong points, areas for improvement, and helpful tips on how it could be successful outside of the class.
Will this course run again in the future?
Cohort-style classes are to some extent very similar to traditional classroom environments which makes them largely dependent on the instructor’s schedule. While we always hope there’ll be a next cohort, there’s no guarantee that the instructor will be available for the next one. If you’re busy right now, but really interested in taking this course, we advise you to sign up now and ask for a refund if you can’t commit to the program after week 3.
What determines the price of the course?
Our programs require significant time from a number of professionals including mentors, the instructor, and organization staff. It is not a canned lecture course but an educational opportunity tailored to your needs and interests.
Ready to level-up?
and join us for a truly immersive learning experience
Enroll now in one of our programs
Measure and apply statistics to evaluate an artifact or its function
Create a Game Design Document and Pitch the Concept to Industry Experts
Flint Dille, John Zuur PlattenWriters of Jurassic World, Diablo, Transformers and more
Build a Programming Language from the Ground-Up
Uncover Vulnerable Machines and Launch an Effective Attack with Your Self-Made Ransomware
Design and Build a System that Solves a Problem You Find Interesting
Create a Professional-Looking Object from Conception to Reality
Build a Multi-Level Car Parking System Using Pointers in C/C++
Build a Blockchain Application and Pitch it to Real Investors
Develop and Manage a Successful AI Project for your Organization